Friday, January 9, 2009

NFL Divisional Weekend Picks


I didn't do all that well with last weeks predictions but I am convinced this week will be better.  I gave Miss Cleo a call and she gave me the down low on this weeks action, so...

Here are my picks for this weekend's divisional playoff games:

1.  Baltimore (+3) over Tennessee and the under (34.5)
2.  Arizona (+9.5) over Carolina and the over (48.5)
3.  Giants (-4) over Philly and the under (40)
4.  Pittsburgh (-6) over San Diago and the under (38)

Reasons:
1.  Baltimore showed that the NFL's number 1 defense came to play this postseason with a +4 turnover margin last week.   The highlight of the defensive effort had to be a touchdown and two picks by the best safety in football, Ed Reed.

This week I like how the Ravens secondary matches up with old-timer Kerry Collins.  Pennington is a better quarterback than Collins and you saw what happened to him last week.  Ray Ray will again be amped up as ever and I expect  him and the rest of the linebackers to stop the two-headed rushing attack of Chris Johnson and LenDale White.  Expect a low scoring game.

On the other side of the ball, the Ravens will need another strong showing from Joe I-don't-look-like-a-rookie-quarterback Flacco.  Whoever wins the turnover margin will win this game, so I like the Ravens.

Matchup to watch: Tennessee QB Kerry Collins vs. Baltimore S Ed Reed

2.  Arizona won last week with Warner having his best game in a month.  Even Edgerrin James pitched in for over 70 yards on 16 carries.  This week the Cardinals take that momentum to Carolina for a high-scoring pass-happy game that is sure to have some of the best highlights of the weekend.

The Cardinals have to throw deep and on defense, slow down DeAngelo Williams to win this game.  For Carolina, expect Steve Smith to have at least 100 yards and 1 touchdown, he was the best wide receiver this season (and was on my Championship fantasy football team).

Matchup to watch: Carolina WR Steve Smith vs. Arizona CB Dominique Rogers-Cromartie

3.  The Giants are rested and ready to face a familiar divisional foe, the Eagles.  First off, I'm a die-hard Redskins fan so I hate both these teams during the regular season, but since the Redskins didn't make the playoffs I have to root for someone.  So I'm going to root for the Giants and pick them to win.  After what Eli did in the Super Bowl how can you not pick them?

The Giants rushing attach of Jacobs and Ward is too much for Dawkins and the Eagles D to handle, sorry but its the truth.  Once Jacobs turns the corner and goes North-South he looks like a bowling ball destroying duck pins.  Snow and wind will both be factors.

The Eagles need RB Brian Westbrook and rookie WR DeSean Jackson to combine and have 200+ yards and 3+ TD's to win.

X factor: Donovan McNabb - which McNabb will we see; the one who got benched over a month ago or the one that went to 4 straight NFC Championship games?

Matchup to watch: New York RB Brandon Jacobs vs. Philadelphia Defense

4.  This game is all about the weather.  The current forecast calls for temps in the mid-twenties and snow.  If this holds true San Diego will lose.  Pittsburgh is rested, ready to play, and used to this kind of weather.  Even after sustaining a concussion just two weeks ago in week 16, Ben Roethlisberger is still the toughest QB in the league and will prove it on Sunday.  Expect WR Hines Ward (also on my Championship fantasy team) to ahve 100+ yards and a TD.

Ladanian Tomlinson is banged up to the point that he will not be a factor.  Darren Sproles is going to have to carry the rushing load and make something happen to open up the passing game for Rivers.

X Factor: Philip Rivers - plays with as much if not more heart than Roethlisberger but isn't physically as strong.  He needs to get Antonio Gates involved early to have a chance in Terrible Towel Town.

Matchup: Pittsburgh WR Hines Ward vs. San Diago CB Antonio Cromartie

No comments:

Post a Comment